[Doc-SIG] quoting

Edward D. Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:01:27 EST

> > Could someone point me to an explanation of why we *don't* want to use
> > backslashes for backslashing characters? :) e.g., \* for a literal
>
> because we're working in a context within which \ is already being
> processed, so we'll end up having to say \\ when we mean \ and ... it'd
> just get ugly.

You can always use r""..."""

It just seems like there should be *some* mechanism for backquoting,
since there are some things that you can *not* express without it..
Would people still object if we made some mechanism available, but
*strongly* discouraged people from using it when they could avoid
it (since it makes the plaintext hard to read)?

-Edward