[Doc-SIG] formalizing StructuredText: issues

Edward D. Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:14:59 EST

2 issues have come up recently in my attempts at formalizing ST:
  1. what is the most elegant way to capture indentation constraints?
     EBNF+la can't do it very well.  This is important when I try to
     write productions for literal blocks (ones preceeded by '::'),
     since where they end depends on indentation.  Perhaps use rules
     like::

       literal_block = (?P<indent> S+) line NL ((?P=indent) S+ line NL)+

     ?
  2. Is there an elegant way to let people say things like 'TestSet's for
     the plural of 'TestSet' (instead of 'TestSets')?  Currently,
     the second "'" in 'TestSet's would be ignored, as it would be with
     what's or it's.  This isn't a problem if we use '#': #TestSet#s.
     But I could see it confusing people..

Any ideas appreaciated.

-Edward