[Doc-SIG] Automated __doc__ string processing systems

Edward D. Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 21:22:29 EST

Ka-Ping,

I'm glad to hear that something's getting added to the standard
distribution.  It seems like a really useful type of tool for
keeping code interfaces well-documented.

Do you think that it will be possible to eventually integrate the
type of functionality I talked about in my essay into pydoc?
(with some sort of special prefix or other mechanism, like separate
formatted-doc strings)  Or do you think that that type of functionality
would be best put in a different tool?

I guess that basically it doesn't seem reasonable for me to try
to develop Epydoc into a full-fledged system, with at least 3
python-document-extraction systems already out there..  But I'd
still like to work on the problem.. So I'm wondering where my
efforts would be best spent. :)

-Edward