[Doc-SIG] A couple quick comments

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:12:13 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote (in response to Edward Loper):
> >   4. I don't see a good reason to specify the interfaces
> >   used between DPS pieces using DOM.  Using/manipulating
> >   DOM can be much more of a pain than using/manipulating
> >   Python objects.
>
> Agreed!  The DOM is a painful standard and unless there are external
> reasons to use it, I'd rather use Python the way I intended it. :-)

Certainly using Python directly would be nicer (heh, that's a given),
although I don't think I find that bit of the XML world as painful as
Guido.

I'd not grumble if DOM "intermediary" was not required. My initial
reason for wanting the DOM in place was because I thought we might have
multiple back/fore-ends developed indendependently. This seems less
important now we have a centralised set of PEPs to work around. Given
the agreement above, I would go for dropping it as an intermediary form.

Of course, there's still the problem of working out the API, in that
case...

The DTDs or some other formalism are still a useful thing to have
around, I think, and it may well *be* useful to be able to produce DOM
for other purposes.

"Bounce with the bunny. Strut with the duck.
 Spin with the chickens now - CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK!"
BARNYARD DANCE! by Sandra Boynton