[Doc-SIG] Documentation markup & processing / PEPs

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:12:09 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> Note that "is not guaranteed" is written, on purpose,
> specifically to cover cases of output formats that can't
> preserve whitespace.

...elucidation of how HTML works...

But what I wanted was the formatter to generate appropriate   tags
for me.

> I'll amend the spec along the lines of "although every
> attempt to preserve whitespace will be made, it is not
> guaranteed to be preserved," and specifically mention
> HTML's TT behavior.

Gosh, coming from (amongst other things) a TeX background, it always
makes go *cringe* when HTML is used as a description of formatting (yes,
I know, I know).

Anyway, what I (that is, me - I can't guarantee anyone else)
*specifically* want is two things:

1. Ability to have inline literals with the 'correct' number of spaces
(which is achievable to the "normal" standard in HTML with  , with
verbatim spaces in [La]TeX, and by other means in other presentation
media.

2. Ability to have a non-breaking space (which *seems* to work with
  in HTML - I haven't got a spec to hand, but "seems to work" does
appear to be the "normal" standard for HTML), and is ~ in [La]TeX, etc.

Of these, the second is the more important to me, and a folding of the
two into   for HTML and ~ for [La]TeX seems to be the easiest to do
(otherwise we need an escape mechanism for non-breaking spaces, which
I'd decrie). So if inline literals preserve spaces and can't span lines,
I would be happy (NB: it *should* be up to the presentation format what
it does with these, so the parser certainly shouldn't be dropping the
spaces, for inline literals at least).

"Bounce with the bunny. Strut with the duck.
 Spin with the chickens now - CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK!"
BARNYARD DANCE! by Sandra Boynton