[Python-Dev] RE: [Doc-SIG] pydoc.py (show docs both inside and outside of Python)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:41:25 -0500

> > 	<name>.py -- information about the module
> >
> > which, when pydoc'ed, results in a NAME line which starts with <name>
> > twice...
> > Of course, if I'm the only person doing this, I'll just have to, well,
> > stop...)
>
> I think i'm going to ask you to stop, unless Guido prefers
> otherwise.  Guido, do you have a style pronouncement for module
> docstrings?

I'm with Ping.  None of the examples in the style guide start the
docstring with the function name.  Almost none of the standard library
modules start their module docstring with the module name (codecs is
an exception, but I didn't write it :-).