[Doc-SIG] Pre-alpha release of docutils

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:41:02 -0000

Well, I took Tuesday off as holiday to work on docutils, on the grounds
that my since-the-new-year work rate of about an hour a week on it was
getting, well, nowhere, and thus I can now announce:

	The very first very pre-alpha release 0.0.1 of docutils

The current status of the code is documented at:

	http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/docutils/status.html
	http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/docutils/status.html
	http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tibsnjoan/docutils/status.html

(technically, those first two should be the same place, but I know
there's been trouble with that first URL in the past).

That page also includes information on downloading the code (well, the
current snapshot of my "working" directory). Note that the "Structured
Text for Python docstrings" page is now moved to be in the same
directory - so if you care, please adjust your bookmarks appropriately
(it's referenced from the "status" page).

What does it do? Well, it will read a Python file and output its
docstrings as not-terribly-good HTML, and it will also read a
StructuredText file and output that as similar quality HTML. There's a
detailed checklist of exactly which bits of ST it supports in the
"status" document, but it does enough to be potentially useful (although
it's not very fast).

The reason I'm still calling it "pre-alpha" is that I want to do a
significant code rewrite of the main innards - but on the other hand, if
I waited until that was finished, I probably wouldn't be releasing
anything until at least a month away.

As normal, all comments are welcomed. But I already know that the
docstrings are often wrong...

Tibs

Postcript: Damn, checking the output of stpy.py when run on
Colourise.py, I see there's a major bug in (at least some) list items -
it's dropping all but the first line (see, for instance, the Module
documentation). It's probably something very stupid, and I don't have
time to look at it right now, so I might as well announce this stuff
anyway, and I'll try to look at it this evening. Ho hum.

"Bounce with the bunny. Strut with the duck.
 Spin with the chickens now - CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK!"
BARNYARD DANCE! by Sandra Boynton