[Doc-SIG] Changes to reStructuredText spec

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:56:26 -0400

I've updated the specification documents quite a bit, along the lines of the
recent discussions. Highlights:

- Removed leading underscore from footnote definition [1]_ and added
  implicit hyperlink target generation (like section headers).
- Added automatic numbering of footnotes.
- Moved interpreted text's role outside of backquotes.
- Settled on field list syntax (":field-name: field body"), updated
  definition. I'm in the process of updating the *uses* of field
  lists in the various documents and modules as well.
- Added 'abstract' to list of bibliographic elements.
- Loosened enumerated list requirements (2-in-a-row).
- Removed requirement for blank lines between definition list items.
- Added option lists & doctest blocks from pyextensions.txt (which
  will be removed soon, and the non-syntax parts reincarnated as a
  DPS Python "mode").

.. [1] This is one of the most interesting changes, I expect. By
   leveraging the implicit hyperlink target generation of section
   headers, footnotes now look much more natural. And confusion
   with hyperlink targets should decrease too.

The implementation changes will follow shortly. (Wait a sec -- isn't that
backwards? Usually the docs lag behind the code. Not for a documentation
project, I guess. ;-)

I haven't made a new release yet, but there are now daily snapshots updated
at midnight EDT (04:00 UTC):

- reStructuredText code & spec:
  http://structuredtext.sourceforge.net/rst-snapshot.tgz

- DPS code & spec: http://docstring.sourceforge.net/dps-snapshot.tgz