[Doc-SIG] reStructuredText Field Lists: Deciding on Syntax

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:02:16 +0100

> I see from quick_reST.html 0.3 that you assumed the ':field-name:'
> syntax would win out. You assumed correctly.

Yes, well, it's not only from the Python arena that I've learnt about
the benefits of BDFL-nature and the benefits of compromise (and yes, I
do believe those go together).

> Over the weekend, I
> implemented field lists, option lists, and tables (temporarily, as
> literal blocks; a full implementation will be a Significant Effort).

Gosh - things move one apace.

> (Implementing option lists was a bit of a pain, because of a
> time-consuming red herring: I'd made a simple logic error but failed
> to track it down, thinking it was a regex problem instead.

Aagh - been there, done that. Sometimes it would be useful to have the
canonical person to look over one's shoulder when doing work like this
as well...

> "Cool!" I said, with a big grin on my face. Thank Guido for
> Python!)

And I know *that* feeling as well!

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"