[Doc-SIG] modes

David Goodger dgoodger@bigfoot.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:34:36 -0400

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) <tony@lsl.co.uk> wrote on 2001-08-13 05:28:
> > (BTW, the introduction of the concept of "modes" has helped me to
> > gel some ideas I had about the DPS framework. We need
> > mode-specific modules as middleware between the input parser and
> > output formatters.)
>
> Hmm. Sometimes a mode is going to change the parse a bit, though,
> surely?

I'm thinking of "transformation mode" (xmode?) modules which reside as
a new layer between the DPS and the parser & formatter. The mode knows
how to interpret the parsed input, how to move stuff around in its own
special way. It's the "business logic" part of the system. That way,
the formatter can be a pure translation module, internal structure to
TeX/*ML/whatever. The parser *will* need to be told something about
what mode it's in: whether or not to use rfc822, lazy indentation.

Have to think this through.

Gotta update the diagram too.

--
David Goodger    dgoodger@bigfoot.com    Open-source projects: