[Doc-SIG] Comments on the reST specification - comments

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:59:57 +0100

OK - I had been intending to write scads on comments and directives and
stuff, but I've just been reading the thread on comments and directives
between Garth and David, and I don't think I need to. It sounds like
sensible things are being thunk, and I'm quite willing to stand on the
sidelines and let the two of you sort it out (gosh - I started out
thinking Garth was going off in a weird direction, but now find myself
following it with pleasure).

Just one note - *do* we need ``.. comment::`` if we are going to retain
``.. `` as *meaning* comments? I'm not sure that proliferation of
entities is a good thing if it's not necessary (even if it's an entity I
suggested at the start).

A separate note, though - I *don't* like having a blank comment
represented as::

    ..

(see the problem? that trailing space is damned difficult to see, and
terribly easy to leave out in consequence). On the other hand, I don't
object at all to *not allowing* a blank comment!

(Garth - if it's an annotation it isn't a comment - it's just some text
that may or may not be visible in the final output, depending on
arguments to the output formatter. Or so I would think)

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"