[Doc-SIG] Attributes and also namespace pollution

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:08:39 +0100

Two "odds and ends" things left...

David Goodger wrote:
> > 258:`Attribute docstrings`_ item 1
> >
> >     Does this really mean to leave functions out? That is, can one
> >     really not do::
> >
> >         def fred():
> >             a = 1
> >             """``a`` is a silly name for a value."""
>
> 'a' is a local variable, and not of interest to the outside world.
> It's an implementation detail, best documented with a comment (or,
> better yet, with a self-documenting, descriptive name). In other
> words, 'a' is only of interest to someone reading the code itself,
> not to someone calling the function, so there's no need to document
> it externally.

Ah - hits forehead and says "d'oh". Yes, I should have thought of that.
On the other hand, that's a Good explanation - is it worth adding it as
a footnote for other fools like me? (hmm - probably not)

> > Other names
> >     OK, so the DPS is responsible (in some sense) for the
> >     __docformat__ name. Should it also be aware of some
> >     of the other (semi) standard names that people use
> >     - the following are ones I'm aware of:
> I don't like to see such namespace pollution. Once we open the door on
> these names (and admittedly it's already at least partially open), we
> can't close it. That's one reason why I added field lists to the spec,
> so they could be leveraged for bibliographic information.

Hmm. Personally, I like them ("namespace pollution" - only if one
doesn't like them!) - and they've historically provided a neat solution
to a problem given lack of docstrings.

Also, I don't think your field lists are powerful enough to cope with
these (authors, for instance, can get quite long and complex). But
that's a discussion I've still to start properly (hah - time).

> Should the DPS support the above? Maybe. I'd prefer that it didn't.
> That information is documentation, and doesn't need to take up more of
> the global namespace.

Hmm - there *is* an argument for having particularly important things
that one needs to know abot a module accessible using (for instance)
``dir``, without having to use special tools.

Does distutils/catalog stuff use any of these? I'm afraid I can't
remember.

> If you look at the pydoc output for modules
> which have these variables, it's very ugly.

Not an argument - at the moment, the pydoc output for *everything* is
ugly - that's because it's an early version of the tool, optimised for
*finding* information, not for presenting it well. Things will change.

> I'd want to avoid
> contributing to the further proliferation of these variables. If we
> support them, any of them, it just encourages the practice.
>
> I'd rather leave this up to a BDFL pronouncement, if Guido is willing.

I definitely think this is a matter on which to seek BDFL guidance - it
is clearly a matter of the style of the language-as-a-whole. Since I
assume he's not got the time to pay attention to Doc-SIG at the moment,
will you ask him? (I trust you to present both sides of the argument!).

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"