[Doc-SIG] Re: Comments on DPS and reStructuredText

Garth T Kidd garth@deadlybloodyserious.com
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:57:34 +1000

> As to blockquotes and lists - I'm personally undecided whether::
>
>     Some text.
>
>         1. A list
>
> should put the list in a blockquote or not, particularly since I often
> like that form in the "raw text" over the (textually) equivalent::
>
>     Some text.
>
>     1. A list

I had to train myself out of indenting bullets by a space. Thankfully,
it didn't take long.

> I *suspect* that this may be a hint at a requirement for a
> qualifier on the output software...

It should be easy enough to convert the parser output to DOM, walk the
tree, look for any blockquotes containing just one list, and collapse
them. I'm reluctant to argue in favour of reST doing that automatically
because I regularly have to quote someone else's bullet lists.

Regards,
Garth.