[Doc-SIG] VMS status messages (honestly, it *is* on topic!)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:09:33 +0100

David wrote:
> I did a Google search and came up with this:

+-------+-------+--------------+------------------------------------+
| DPS   | VMS   |              |                                    |
| Level | Value | Severity     | Response                           |
+=======+=======+==============+====================================+
| n/a   | 1     | Success      | Execution continues, expected      |
|       |       |              | results                            |
+-------+-------+--------------+------------------------------------+
| 0     | 3     | Information  | Execution continues, informational |
|       |       |              | message displayed                  |
+-------+-------+--------------+------------------------------------+
| 1     | 0     | Warning      | Execution continues, unpredictable |
|       |       |              | results                            |
+-------+-------+--------------+------------------------------------+
| 2     | 2     | Error        | Execution continues, erroneous     |
|       |       |              | results                            |
+-------+-------+--------------+------------------------------------+
| 3     | 4     | Severe error | Execution terminates, no output    |
+-------+-------+--------------+------------------------------------+

OK - but there's some "colloquial" background missing from that.

VMS status messages, as output, are of the form::

	%<SOURCE>-<SEVERITY>-<MNEMONIC>, <MESSAGE TEXT>

for instance::

	%SYSTEM-E-NOSUCHFILE, No such file as "FRED.TXT;7"

(this is a made up message, not a *real* NOSUCHFILE - I can't be
bothered to look up the exact message).

The <SOURCE> component identifies what program/module the message was
produced by, <MNEMONIC> can be used to look it up, or talk about it, and
<MESSAGE TEXT> is implied by <MNEMONIC>, but may contain "variable
bits", like the file name above.

<SEVERITY> is a one letter code indicating which of the severity levels
this message belongs to. And *these* are S, I, W, E and F. Hence
Success, Information, Warning, Error and Fatal (even though "formal
speak" might call that last "Severe error").

Of course, one can choose which levels of message to see, and which
levels to catch (ah, the joys of DCL programming).

Anyway, the gist is that the word "fatal" is a useful one, and it
carries the correct implication of "help, I'm going to fall over now,
look out for bits of stuff strewn all over the place".

And, as you say, the terms are easier to remember than the numbers.

Tibs (gone all nostalgic now)

Well we're safe now....thank God we're in a bowling alley.
- Big Bob (J.T. Walsh) in "Pleasantville"