[Doc-SIG] lightweight markup: bullets

Edward D. Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 14:44:38 EDT

> Why *don't* we start without coloring, and get plenty of the other
> useful stuff that you mention in place?  We can defer the
> controversy, and maybe when we get around to it we'll know more what
> kind of structuring we really need...

Sounds like a good idea to me.  The only slight problem is that, in
theory, colorizing and structuring interact slightly.  In particular,
consider examples like::

  - This is a list item talking about C{x
    - y}.  C{x - y} is a good value.  We
    all love it.

Here, in principle, we should be able to tell from the fact that we're
inside a colored region that the "-" is not a list bullet.  But I'd be
ok ignoring cases like that for now..  I've tried to be careful to
design my structring rules so it can be as independant of colorizing
as possible.

-Edward