[Doc-SIG] which characters to use for docstring markup

Edward D. Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:06:32 EDT

Greg:
>> code samples like C<x > 5> are ambiguous

Hm, I guess I should make sure I've read *all* my email before I
start writing. :)

Guido:
>> I think I'd prefer to have to write \> for > than \} for }, so I
>> *still* prefer C<> over C{}.

Is this just because you think it looks nicer?  Or for some semblance
of compatability with perldoc?  Or is there some other reason?

I guess I'm not strongly commited to C{}, but I think that it would
inconvenience fewer people, since talking about order relationships
(gt and lt) is fairly common..

Also, it makes for a simpler system that's easier to understand/use
if you just say that delimiter characters are always delimiter
characters.

-Edward