[Doc-SIG] A promise

Laurence Tratt laurie@eh.org
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:18:59 +0000

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

>> I'll put my neck on the line: long term, tracking the current
>> Python release (even if not using the built in parser interface) is
>> the way to go. In the short term, you might get away with coping
>   This is certainly the way to gain support for the current version.

That's another way of looking at it :)

> I don't think there's likely to be much difficulty with extracting
> most interesting information; the hardest part will be pulling apart
> things like parameter lists, which have changed between 1.5.2 and
> 2.0.  There are semantic issues with that sort of information.  But
> that's pulling a lot of things out beyond docstrings.  (Though I think
> *that's* pretty valuable.)

I ended up being surprised at how much information in the grammar I made use of
in the end... Allowing doc strings for inner classes, class variables etc means
you need to move beyond brute strength, which was the first thing I tried.

Andrews suggestion of Tools/compiler is certainly something I would suggest be
given further thought.

Laurie