[Doc-SIG] A promise

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:57:57 -0000

and Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> I have some code that needs to be cleaned up, but shouldn't be too
> hard to use.

to which I reply - Yes please, if you could email it to me

(my aim is to have the docstring thingy do a Tim Peters' style doctest
on itself, so the earlier I get such code the better)

>   On the whole, this sounds like a very nice Christmas gift for
> everyone!  (And if you don't celebrate, that shouldn't matter for this
> gift! ;)

Thanks. (As background, at the moment my work work is mainly tidying
up/bug fixing/testing work. This is *very* valuable, and I do want to be
doing it, but it isn't very *nice* or fun, and it means working in C or
worse (the "worse" option is a sort of castrated Pascal). So in a sense
the docstring stuff is a welcome relaxation/mind stretch. Well, in some
sense.)

Hmm. A serious point. What do we want to *call* this thing?

pyDoc?

.. "equal" really means "in some sense the same, but maybe not
.. the sense you were hoping for", or, more succinctly, "is
.. confused with". (Gordon McMillan, Python list, Apr 1998)