[Doc-SIG] Pythondoc installation bugs (and fixes)

Stuart Reynolds S.I.Reynolds@cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:52:33 +0100

Hi Guys,

I've just installed Pythondoc (0.7) on my system and there's some bugs
in the installation (this is on Solaris with python 1.5.2).
[BTW. Does anyone know how to contact Daniel Larson? His address,
Daniel.Larsson@vasteras.mail.telia.com, keeps bouncing mail back to me.]

- The Makefile contains some illegal end of line characters that
  cause it not to work with some versions of make. To fix run,

    .../Pythondistrib/Tools/scripts/crlf.py Makefile

- Similarly, there's something wrong with the first line of the
  "pythondoc" file that crlf.py fixes,

 % ./pythondoc
 /usr/bin/env: No such file or directory
 % crlf.py ./pythondoc
 pythondoc
 % ./pythondoc
 [works]

- when the installation zip file is unzipped, some of the files it
  outputs don't have the user write permissions set (this is just
  irritating).

- the Makefile - it doesn't copy "gui.py" into the package directory.

- After fixing these and then running "make test", I get

% make test
Building HTML4 output for pythondoc in /tmp/html.
pythondoc sources in the current directory will be
sh: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test'

  But otherwise the program works fine. Its a top tool.

Cheers,

Stuart

PS. The web page at,
  http://starship.skyport.net/crew/danilo/pythondoc/
stills list v0.4 as the latest version. Also, the "latest version" link
at http://starship.python.net/crew/danilo/pythondoc/README.html also
points to the v0.4 page.