[Doc-SIG] Cross-reference proposal

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:33:12 -0000

Peter Funk wrote, on 10 February 2000 12:55:
> Question: What is difference between a "marked up" docstring and a doc
> string, which is not "marked up"?  This must be easy to detect.

"must"? hmm...

Answer 1: A marked up doc string is one which contains markup.

This is the easy answer, but see:

Answer 2: You can't tell, because you can't distinguish a doc string that
*required* no markup (or so the writer decided) from one which (for
instance) predates the markup scheme.

In fact, I don't think it's a problem in practise.

Some person decides to run the appropriate tool over a particular Python
file, and I think it is reasonable to assume (for our purposes) that either
all of a file (maybe even a module) shall be marked up, or none of it shall
be (note the careful ISO-speak there). In that case, the person can make the
decision.

If Ka-Ping Yee wants to be *really* nice (and I don't regard this as a
requirement!) then he could have his script warn the user that there
actually *is* something that looks like markup in the text, and even (maybe)
attempt to use it - but that's a whole other discussion about trade-offs
(e.g., what if it *looked* like our markup but wasn't?,
and should the user be able to aver "ignore any characters that look like
markup"?). Etc.

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/
.. "equal" really means "in some sense the same, but maybe not
.. the sense you were hoping for", or, more succinctly, "is
.. confused with". (Gordon McMillan, Python list, Apr 1998)