[Doc-SIG] docstring grammar

David Ascher da@ski.org
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:02:30 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Tim Peters wrote:

> Luckily, it almost fits your definition of a paragraph already.  It
> shouldn't be any real effort to declare that ">>>" introduces a
> structureless code paragraph extending until the next all-whitespace etc --
> given that it's a format for Python docstrings, Python's own output deserves
> some special treatment <wink>.

The only question I suppose is whether one should require a keyword (Test:
or other) to keep the top-level syntax trivial, or special-case the
recognition of >>>-beginning paragraphs.

I'm leaning for the former, as it can evolve to the latter if there is
sufficient call for it from the user base, and I think it does keep the
code simpler.  But I'm willing to be swayed.

--david