[Doc-SIG] docstring grammar

David Ascher da@ski.org
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:35:30 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Mark Hammond wrote:

> I more had in mind:
>
> if sys.doc_building:
>   # Normally critical we do this.
>   dont_do_something_really_expensive()
>
> We dont need to execute the bulk of the code, just import the module
> and get a few of the symbols.

But lots of modules currently do everything in the leftmost column
(they're called "scripts" =).  Some of them never end (they're called "
"daemons" =).  I don't want to force someone to take their 'global' code
and put it in a function just to get around the docstring tool.  Anyway,
the point is moot, as one or the other solution will work, depending on
the script.

--david