[Doc-SIG] soundex module status?

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:00:26 -0400

> I'll be happy to "adopt" the module, especially if it will keep it "in the
> fold".  I tried sending mail to the original author but it bounced (not
> really surprising).  Should I do something formal to take it over?  Perhaps
> add my name to the code and send it in for update?

Sigh.  I wish that module went away -- it offends my sense of what
should be a standard library facility (like several other very old
modules, including some I wrote, mind you -- it's just that this one's
in C, which makes it more of a liability).  If anything, it should be
rewritten in Python, I really don't see why it has to be in C.  It
also makes sense to dig out the official algorithm from somewhere.