[Doc-SIG] Re: docstrings for re.py?

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 14:31:25 -0400

> I went ahead and put docstrings into re.py.  For the most part, I just
> pasted in the docs from the library reference, with some minor edits.

Thanks, this is very useful.  Would it make sense to also have the
pattern syntax in there somewhere?

You introduced one innovation: additional documentation in a separate
__flags_doc__ variable.  I'm not sure how well this works - typically,
automatic doc extraction tools won't know to look there.  Perhaps it
should all be one big happy docstring?  Or perhaps you could add
one-line descriptions to the descriptions in the main __doc__, making
__flags_doc__ unnecessary?