[Doc-SIG] Docstring syntax discussion

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:52:53 -0500 (EST)

Jack Jansen writes:
 > """
 > 	This function does nothing.
 > """

 > Language: en
 > 	This function does nothing.
 > """

  I'd vote for this version only; each docstring can either processed
or not depending on the language identifier.  A language identifier in
the module docstring (that means the *first* one only!) can be taken
to mean "this language is the default for this module."

 > unspecified/unknown (which is politically correct) or english (which is
 > probably a lot more practical, since I don't think we can teach these
 > americans to add the Language tag all the time:-).

  Hear, hear!  We're just a bunch of closed-door isolationists with an
attitude!  Bad Europeans, bad!  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>