[Doc-SIG] docstring grammar

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:36:06 -0000

Arg, splurgle. Sorry, earlier I was saying that I didn't see why [..]
references shouldn't contain whitespace. Since then I've thought of all
sorts of reasons (*especially* why I, personally, don't want them to contain
line breaks, which is kind-of inevitably allowed if one allows whitespace
and is writing automatically wrapped explanatory text...), so I take it
back.

I hereby change my vote to sticking with the alphanumerics plus hyphen plus
underline that everyone else was agreeing with anyway (although I still
don't want to use an RE to explain that to people!).

Which is, of course:

	ref_label is:
		'text' = AllIn alphanumeric + "_-"

	reference = Table is:
		Is "["
		ref_label
		Is "]"

although I wouldn't propose explaining it in those terms to "most people".

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/
[I've read it twice. I've thought it over. I'm sending it anyway.]