[Doc-SIG] XML Conversion Update

Sean Mc Grath digitome@iol.ie
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:06:17 +0100

>> As well as acting as names for information object storage
>> these are also names for xref purposes e.g.:
>>
>> 	See <xref idref="API-Abstract_Objects_Layer-Mapping_Protocol">
>> 	the mapping protocol</xref> for more information.

[Guido]
>Without any context, this looks like a horrible idea in one detail:
>the mixing of underscores and hyphens that you propose.  Anything, but
>not that!  Make it CamelCase if you have to:
>
>    LibraryReference-PythonServices-UserList.xml
>    API-AbstractObjectsLayer-MappingProtocol.xml

Yes, the dash/underscore soup is awful. CamelCasing is better.
If the information objects live on a flat filesystem then the
we need to restrict object names to a filesystem friendly subset.
We probably want to eschew the likes of "&" for example.

We can be more uninhibited if the information objects live in
somelike like mySQL. The benefits of storage in a relational
database probably only outweigh the drawbacks once the
number of information objects gets very large though.

regards,

<Sean URI="http://www.digitome.com/sean.html">
Developers Day Co-Chair, 9th International World Wide Web Conference
16-19, May, 2000, Amsterdam, The Netherlands http://www9.org
</Sean>