[Doc-SIG] SGML Python docs

Cees de Groot cg@pobox.com
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:24:31 +0200

tratt@dcs.kcl.ac.uk said:
> I would imagine this is the only way to reliably retain all the
> information that the LaTeX now holds (eg about when "string" is a
> module, and when it's an attribute in an RE object). I don't believe
> in reinventing the wheel when it's not necessary, but I would imagine
> we would be trying to mangle two different wheels together if we used
> a non-specific DTD.

Fred made a statement about energy better spent at writing documentation than
converting it - this becomes very true in the area of DTDs. A DTD like DocBook
isn't non-specific, it is very specific: writing software documentation, and
with it are all the tools to adapt it to your own piece of software (starting
with very simple things like role attributes). With inventing your own DTD
you'll have little gains, but a big burden: endless discussions on tags, the
need to maintain it, the need to write conversion software, etcetera. I'd
advise anything short of a full-time SGML publishing business against doing so.

The <SystemItem role="module">string</> module.
The <StructField>string</> attribute of an RE object.

As I mentioned, with the decision to use DocBook, you'd need to make a sort of
stylesheet where you define the markup to apply to the common elements of the
software being documented; in the case of Python, this list is probably
something like [module, class, function, parameter, default value of
parameter, attribute], in other words: not very long and way easier to
maintain than a complete DTD.

--
Cees de Groot               http://pobox.com/~cg          <cg@pobox.com>
--- We're hiring Java developers => www.acriter.com