[Doc-SIG] SGML Python docs

Cees de Groot cg@pobox.com
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:52:49 +0200

fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us said:
>   I don't think this is a "pet format" issue; there are advantages to
> SGML/XML conversion, once there's a specific DTD and the SGML v. XML
> decision is made (it's not at all clear which to use).

I've been through the SGML vs XML debate a couple of times. For larger
documentation projects, I have opted for SGML for two reasons:
- More knowledge, more tools, more support, etcetera;
- If you need the advanced features of SGML, they're there; if you don't, you
can always "downgrade" to XML by the time that the standard is in widespread
use.

This (plus the non-availability of DocBook) where the main reasons for the
SGMLtools project sticking with SGML, and I think they're valid here as well.

Regards,

Cees
--
Cees de Groot               http://pobox.com/~cg          <cg@pobox.com>