[Doc-SIG] An 'apropos' utility for documentations

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:53:18 -0500 (EST)

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba writes:
 > Well, the idea is to do an apropos command ( written in python
 >  of course) containing all the 'concepts' and tips related with
 > the documentation of a program.

  Sorry for not responding to this sooner.
  I'm not sure if I understand what you want very well.  Are you
asking for a more elaborate form of the traditional apropos command,
or are you looking for an apropos that operates on the Python library?
If the former, I can see it taking the form of an advanced
manual-searching interface, hopefully tied in (somehow) with the
standard man/apropos system.
  If you're looking for an apropos that operates on the Python
documentation, that's something for which support could be added to
the logical markup of the documentation to some degree, and then an
external utility could be used to build and query the database.  This
is certainly something we can consider as the source form of the
documentation moves from LaTeX to SGML.
  Please elaborate / clarify on your idea; I'm interested!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191