[DOC-SIG] Library reference SGML plan / size of supplied documentation

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:25:46 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Really?  If we distribute HTML for online viewing, does PDF still
> have any advantages over PostScript for printing?  I've rarely had
> complaints about the PostScript I've been distributing so far.  Having
> to dwonload the viewer is actually a deterrent for those people who
> haven't already got one.

I still prefer PDF. I can read it onscreen if that makes sense (e.g. to
delete the HTML files and save disk space, or to do a linear "eyeball
search" through the document) because the viewer is much better. On the
other hand, if I was on a Unix box with a PostScript printer, I might
feel otherwise. Anyhow, it is easy to make both if we can make TeX. You
could ship the HTML for day to day use and allow people to download the
printable version of their choice.

 Paul Prescod