[DOC-SIG] Library reference SGML plan / size of supplied documentation

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:05:06 +0100

Guido wrote:
>Please use PDF for printable files -- not for on line documents!

But for the publisher, there's no difference, is it?  The only way
to prevent people (using a capable browser) to look at the PDF
document is to compress it...  which is pretty stupid since PDF 3
supports ZIP compression itself...  And at least it gives you the
possibility to preview the document you're about to print.

But of course, if someone could easily have created HTML, it's
a pretty lousy idea to publish only a PDF.  But it could be worse.
They could publish Word documents only ;-)

Bill wrote:
> Reminds me again of the Halasz split between "card sharks" (people who
> like card (and page) oriented hypertext) and "holy scrollers" (people
> who like endless-scrolled-document style hypertext).  HTML has made us
> all holy scrollers whether we like it or not...

Just read an article where some information guru pointed out that
very few users actually used the scrollbar, unless the page contained
some really, really, important information...

Cheers /F