[DOC-SIG] Re: Python Documentation

Michael W. Ryan mryan@netaxs.com
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:08:07 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Fred L. Drake wrote:

>   Ok, I bit.  I just pulled down 0.99.20 and read the latest
> incarnation of the DTD.  I'll try and explain why I don't think the
> SGML-Tools suite is good for the project at hand (the Python Library
> Reference).

These are arguments against that I can accept.

>  > 3) There has been discussion of structuring the package such that other
>  > DTDs can be used.
>
>   Some discussion?  Other tools have been designed for this from the
> start; that counts quite a bit in my book.

That's a good point.  I don't object to those other tools as long as they
are accessible and reasonably easy to use.

>   I agree, it has improved.  But it's very basic and doesn't support
> the highly structured information in the Python Library Reference.
> Sure, it could be extended to do so.  I think using an existing,
> tested, and supported DTD provides significant benefits over having to
> (largely) start over.
>   I'm not knocking what the SGML-Tools crew has done, I just don't
> think it's as far along as it could be, or as other tools are.
>   Please direct follow-ups to doc-sig@python.org, as the primary
> discussion has moved to that forum.

If you're on the doc-sig list and want to reply to me directly, please
email me.  I'm not on the sig list.  I'm thinking of joining, but it
depends on the average volume.

Michael W. Ryan
Email:  mryan@netaxs.com           WWW:  http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)