[DOC-SIG] Library reference SGML plan

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:08:35 -0500

> Before I start -- how is all of this going to play out with 1.5 and
> updates and so forth. Is now the right time to do a documentation
> changeover?

I think it's too late to get it all sorted out by the end of the year,
which is the planned release date for the final version of Python 1.5.
But then you might surprise me...!  Anyway I don't think there's a
need to synchronize the documentation effort that closely with the
source release effort -- I expect that more and more people get the
documentation (in PostScript or HTML) off the web site, so it's okay
if the documentation for 1.5 improves after 1.5 is out...!

Note that *if* you start doing the conversion based on the 1.5a4
release, you better be prepared to re-convert some documents that have
been modified (or added) since then.  Fred knows where they are.

> 4. Write a "howto" document on the entire system.

I think this may in the end be the most important document of all.
Very few people are capable of reverse engineering the rules properly
from the appearance of the printed documentation...!