[DOC-SIG] Library reference manual debate

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:33:31 -0500

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > worried too because the only tool that is used as an existence proof
 > (Jade) seems to be a one-person project.  And of course the XML tools
 > are still almost completely in the vaporware category.

  SP, the parser underlying Jade, is James Clark's second complete
SGML parser.  From the discussions in comp.text.sgml, I'd say it's
well regarded as a world-class piece of software which is being used
in commercial software as well as all sorts of ad-hoc applications.
Clark is also the author of groff, the GNU roff/troff tool.  I don't
think there's any reason to be concerned about the source of this
software.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.