[DOC-SIG] Library reference manual debate

Edward Welbourne Edward Welbourne <eddyw@lsl.co.uk>
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:09:22 GMT

Guido:
>> ain't broken."  I personally have access to a working LaTeX
>> installation, the latex2html converter produces adequate HTML (I still
Fred:
>  It's out of date and should be updated, but does work for the Python
> documentation.  I have found very reasonable LaTeX2e documents that
> can't be formatted correctly using the CNRI installation.

Yup, I used to be a TeXnician but it's so long since I've had a
non-fragile installation that I've given up on it.  I endure LaTeX for
legacy reasons, but I don't write in it except where I have to.
This is genuinely a major problem with LaTeX: once a site has got a few
hacked .sty files, you can forget about the portability of LaTeX.  The
entire TeX system is too brittle, for this it will die.
Pity: I still have a lot of fondness for it.
It was a programmer's documentation form.

	Eddy.