[DOC-SIG] What I don't like about SGML

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:55:05 -0500

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > Hm, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same GML then.  According
 > to Goldfarb's home page (http://www.sgmlsource.com/):

  This is the same one.  The machinery for defining processing
separately from the abstract markup was there, but you pretty much had
to be an IBM insider to get enough information about how to use it.
That's why the Script/VS control words got used as much as they did.
I agree; the original format of the markup would have been better left
on the punched cards.  But it was sufficient for me to write about 150
pages of a software manual (user info. and configuration).  I had more
problems dealing with XEdit than the markup itself, but too much of
the markup ended up being process-oriented than it should have been.
Very tedious stuff, indeed.
  A lot like LaTeX in many ways, but it's much easier to extend the
LaTeX markup than the GML markup.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.