[DOC-SIG] Library reference manual debate

Scott scott@chronis.icgroup.com
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:56:36 -0500

Seems like there's a lot of great works getting underway here.  I'm certain
they would/will add alot to what python can do.

As far as my own opinion for what what format the library reference should
take,  I have two major concerns.  First is that the first beta release of
python 1.5 is not significantly delayed for whatever is decided should be done
to change the current docs.  There's alot of work in 1.4 out there that would
benefit greatly from a public 1.5 release (and I'm tired of wanting to write
code that will only work in 1.5 when in production it will have to in 1.4).

Second is that html be really easy to access.  For the library reference in
particular, I find that I'd much rather click search a couple of times than
page through sheet after sheet of hardcopy.

Finally, though I'm not all that familiar with the particulars of parsing
tim/sgml/xml/latex, I would like to point out that I've made some progress
towards easily producing generally efficient parsers in python (Lex/Yacc/Bison
style). Should anyone working on any python documentation projects want such a
tool before it's ready for its first public release, there is pre release info
on the string sig and under
http://starship.skyport.net/crew/scott/projects.html.  Using the prelease code
toward this end, or offering suggestions as to how it could better accomodate
this end is most welcome.

scott