[DOC-SIG] Re: [PSA MEMBERS] [XML] Notes on the Tutorial's markup

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:48:01 -0500

Fred L. Drake wrote:
>   For static output there should be no need to use anything other than
> jade & a collection of stylesheets.  I was thinking more along the
> lines of run-time access to the library reference, which could be used
> to support interactive help systems and the like.  It may be that
> static generation of a more Python-friendly format would be
> appropriate; perhaps a shelf as a repository for small documentation
> objects that could then be rendered for display at runtime based on
> user preferences or context.

That would be cool. It would also be pretty trivial on Windows right
now. Getting a grove from SP takes like two lines of code:

import groveoa
groveoa.GroveBuilder().parse( "libref-ch3.sgm" )

I only mention this because one of my memes is that things should be as
easy on Unix as under Windows -- in other words there should be good
tools for making ILU bindings and people should write ILU bindings
instead of language-specific bindings whene ever possible.

 Paul Prescod