[DOC-SIG] Comparing SGML DTDs

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 20:08:29 -0500

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> All this discussion of SGML/XML is moot if we can't fix the basic
> problem of SGML's special characters conflicting with Python's.  Is
> that problem solvable?  Paul, you mentioned that it's possible to use
> characters other than <> in SGML, but it's not commonly done.  Why
> not?  What about XML?  Would it be possible to write a DTD that looked
> like TIM, instead of looking like HTML?

There is no basic problem. SGML/XML has two basic markup-staring
delimiters, "&" and "<". TIM has three, it seems "@", and "{}". As far
as I can tell, the TIM characters appear in Python docs just as often as
the SGML ones. Both languages have techniques for supressing markup
recognition ("escaping").

 Paul Prescod