[DOC-SIG] comments on Python mapping

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.xerox.com
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:47:51 PST

Martin, some comments on the Python mapping:

1)  How about putting a version # on it so that we can keep track of
which version we're looking at?

2)  Python keywords:  an underscore suffix is valid OMG IDL, so it shouldn't
be used to discriminate keywords.  The current ILU mapping uses an underscore
prefix on Python keywords.

3)  Long double should use something like the thing in ILU, *not* be mapped
(with loss of information) to a Python floating point, unless that floating
point can in fact represent an OMG IDL long double.

4)  char should be mapped as an integer, to be consistent with wchar.

5)  I found the "fixed" example a bit confusing, because of the use of
"a" as a parameter in the first bulleted item.  How about saying
"fixed<foo,bar>", or some such?

6)  Can't we just use "None" for NIL objects?

7)  I'd like the "create_request" operation to take the repository ID of the
interface somehow, possibly as a keyword parameter.  The CORBA notion of
just passing the method name is inherently broken.

8)  The POA inheritance-based impl described seems to break one of the
most cherished parts of ILU, the ability to use true classes directly in
an application.  Am I wrong?  Also, I'd suggest M__POA, instead of POA_M.

9)  Is it necessary to say, ``A class may implement multiple interfaces
only if those interfaces are in a strict inheritance relationship.''
Why do we care, so long as it implements the interfaces it claims to?

Bill