[DOC-SIG] Re: [PSA MEMBERS] [XML] Notes on the Tutorial's markup

Andrew Kuchling amk@magnet.com
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:08:39 -0500 (EST)

Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US> wrote:
>Either choice sounds really bad to me.  I've come to really hate the
>idea of having to type raw SGML.  For me, SGML is great as an
>intermediate format -- I can generate it and I can parse it.  But I
>don't want to type it.  It sounds like XML is no better.

	Are you against SGML/XML just when used in docstrings, or also
if used for the LibRef/tutorial/etc?

	A better solution might be something similar to Perl's pod
format; something simple and easily parsed with regular expressions.
(For example, "=head1 Level 1 heading".)  Adding new markup keywords
would then require modifying Python code, but writing documents would
be much easier, and doable in plain text mode.

	Andrew Kuchling
	amk@magnet.com
	http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/