[DOC-SIG] contributing documentation

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:04:03 +0200

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> > What about HTML? Does anyone have a decent enough HTML to
> > Python Manual Latex converter? I'd write one myself if I had the
> > time...
>
>         There is a program called html2latex, but I've never used it.
>
>         There have been discussions in the past about changing markup
> formats for the documentation--see the doc-sig archives--but inertia
> has kept us with LaTeX.  IMHO it would be good to define an SGML or
> XML DTD similar to the existing LaTeX macros, and then use Mike
> Fletcher's XML parser (or some other parser) to produce various output
> formats.  But that's certainly not going to happen for 1.5.

I think writing documentation should be as easy as possible, so
why not use a word-processor like Word, define some formats (with
special names that match those in Latex) and have the exported
RTF-file converted into Latex.

That should be possible (though I don't know enough about RTF
myself to write a converter: the wording of the format names
is definetly included in RTF-files).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg        http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg