[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Who is hacking?

Daniel Larsson dlarsson@sw.seisy.abb.se
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:09:12 +0100

------------79A0463356543

Mark Hammond wrote:

> What is the current development status of "gendoc" at the moment?
>
> I take it Robin and Daniel are the main keepers - does this
> responsibility divide somewhere?

I have done most of the implementation, with Robin being the main user
so far
(as far as I know) sending me bug fixes every so often.

> Are there any good test cases (even private ones people use
> themselves).  If I get brave and start trying to enhance, will people
> actually pick up the patches, and make sure they still work as
> originally intended :-)

Hmm, well, not really. I made a simple test case, which I think is
distributed
with the package. If you make enhancements, I'll be more than happy to
incorporate
them into my source and future releases of gendoc.

> My main focusses at the moment are:
> * Make it generate a hierarchical index for an "ni" package (my
> previous hacks generates a "flat" index.

Excellent!

> * Make it parse my already marked-up C++ comments, so I can build a
> single manual.  This should be pretty easy - they are pretty
> structured, and made more for parsing than reading.
> * Make my "html2word" tool build good help files from it (it
> currently does a "reasonable" job!)
>
> After doing all that, we'll have a system which can generate a single
> set of documentation from both .py and .c(pp) sources, and generate

> it in any of the native gendoc formats, and WinHelp.
>
> I reckon that'd be pretty cool :-)
>
> Mark.

Sounds great!

------------79A0463356543

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Mark Hammond wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; What is the current development status of &quot;gendoc&quot; at the
moment?<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; I take it Robin and Daniel are the main keepers - does this<BR>
&gt; responsibility divide somewhere?<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>I have done most of the implementation, with Robin being the main user
so far</DT>

<DT>(as far as I know) sending me bug fixes every so often.</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt; Are there any good test cases (even private ones people use<BR>
&gt; themselves).&nbsp; If I get brave and start trying to enhance, will
people<BR>
&gt; actually pick up the patches, and make sure they still work as<BR>
&gt; originally intended :-)<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Hmm, well, not really. I made a simple test case, which I think is
distributed</DT>

<DT>with the package. If you make enhancements, I'll be more than happy
to incorporate</DT>

<DT>them into my source and future releases of gendoc.</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt; My main focusses at the moment are:<BR>
&gt; * Make it generate a hierarchical index for an &quot;ni&quot; package
(my<BR>
&gt; previous hacks generates a &quot;flat&quot; index.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Excellent!</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt; * Make it parse my already marked-up C++ comments, so I can build
a<BR>
&gt; single manual.&nbsp; This should be pretty easy - they are pretty<BR>
&gt; structured, and made more for parsing than reading.<BR>
&gt; * Make my &quot;html2word&quot; tool build good help files from it
(it<BR>
&gt; currently does a &quot;reasonable&quot; job!)<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; After doing all that, we'll have a system which can generate a single<BR>
&gt; set of documentation from both .py and .c(pp) sources, and generate<BR>
<BR>
&gt; it in any of the native gendoc formats, and WinHelp.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; I reckon that'd be pretty cool :-)<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Mark.<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Sounds great!</DT>