[DOC-SIG] SGML Working Group

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 03:09:48 -0500

I have been encouraged to discuss SGML stuff in the doc-sig. This is my
first posting there on this topic (well, as part of an actual
project...) SGML/XML interested people should join us there for this
discussion. (please followup there, not in comp.lang.python)

I would like to urge that the first order of business is a mandate for
our "working group" and I propose the following one:

This working group exists in order to standardize classes, interfaces
and software for the processing of SGML documents (including the XML
subset).

Concrete goals of the first few months should include:

 * Python version of the World Wide Web Consortium "Document Object
Model" SGML-tree API (this should be a straightforward translation of
IDL to Python)

 * Development of Python-specific event based and tree APIs for
processing of SGML documents. (perhaps inspired by similar efforts in
the Java or C++ worlds and the existing Python SGML processing packages)

 * Development of a validating XML parser that would serve to make XML
competitive in XML processing.

 * Development of a filter for the output of NSGMLS that generates the
events defined in our API.

 * Tool for converting events from our API into a DOM tree.

Other (longer range?) goals might include:

 * Embedding of Python into James Clark's C++ SP library.

 * Wrapping of C++ SP and Grove API with our Python-specific APIs.

 * Development of higher level tools for SGML processing (e.g. a
DSSSL-like tool, an "XML-Writer" library, an XML browser for Grail etc.)

Comments (in doc-sig) please.

 Paul Prescod