[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Structured documentation syntax

Fredrik Lundh fredrik_lundh@ivab.se
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 15:59:10 +0200

> >   - It might be nicer (simpler) to use _underscores_ for italics
> >     and use *single asterisks* for bold.  (Special Python names
> >     that start and end with underscores should be marked as code
> >     examples anyway...)

> Actually, *spam* is used for emphasis, not italics.  It just happens
> that most browsers use italics for emphasis.  Personally, I don't
> like how _underscores_ looks.  I would never type a text document
> that way.  I would have no problem with having single asterisks
> indicate strong, rather than emphasized.

Well, typographically speaking, underscores are the same thing as
italics, so I strongly agree with Ka-Ping on this issue.

Basically, italics should be used when you need to emphasize (sp?)
things in running text, while boldface should be used to mark out
things that the reader might scan for on a page.  So _em_ and *strong*
are IMHO the appropriate way to go.

	/F