[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Document Templates

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:19:00 -0400

We have developed a module named DocumentTemplate that we will
be releasing at the Python conference in a couple of weeks:

Many Web based applications must provide the capability for customers
to be able to edit the look and feel of the application's Web pages.
Futhermore, our experience has been that mixing Python and Hypertext
Markup Language (HTML) together makes both less readable. We have
developed a Python module named DocumentTemplate that allows documents
to be created with embedded markup that causes data from Python objects
to be inserted into documents when they are output from an application.
The data insertion goes beyond simple insertion of data with C-language
formats to include:

 - Insertion of data with application-defined formats, such as
   date-time formats,

 - Automatic evaluation of python functions and methods,

 - Nested documented templates,

 - Conditional insertion,

 - Iterative insertion, by iterating over python sequences, including
   support for browse by batch, and

 - Automatic computation of summary statistics when iterating over
sequences.

See http://www.digicool.com/papers/DocumentTemplate.html
for more details.

Jim