[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Re: Dynamic Loading of modules on Solaris

Anthony Baxter Anthony Baxter <arb@connect.com.au>
Fri, 04 Oct 1996 10:53:28 +1000

>>> In message <ydak9t83yi7.fsf@fargo.i-have-a-misconfigured-system-so-shoot-me> Ben Hurwitz wrote

(gotta love that message-id :)

> Does dynamic loading of modules work on Solaris for Python-1.4beta3?
> I'm trying it unsuccessfully on Solaris 2.5.  At first I thought it
> was just the module that I wrote, but when I build the python-included
> modules as shared libraries, it doesn't work either.

Yes. Make sure

you're not using GNU ld (GNU ld under Solaris is broken - remove it
entirely.)
you link the .so with 'ld -G foomodule.so foomodule.o otherbit.o -lneededlib'
(substitute in real filenames and library names, of course)
Note that you don't need to link with -lPython, -LParser, or the like.

Hm, maybe DOC-SIG could come up with a page of 'how to dynamically link
a module on O/S Foo-ix' instructions...