[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Internals documentation: what format?

anthony baxter anthony.baxter@aaii.oz.au
Sat, 01 Jun 1996 02:51:57 +1000

>>> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I'd like the stuff on the python internals(*) that I started yonks ago
> > to be finished up at some point - but I'm really not all that happy with
> > the current format for the text (pod). Does anyone have suggestions for
> > a better format for this stuff? I want to be able to generate HTML, and
> > also something nicer, and I'd also like it to be fairly easy to write.
> How about doc strings?  Jim Fulton continues to threaten to give us
> tools that will generate the documentation from doc strings, even if
> they are embedded in C source...

I dont see how doc strings help with the internals docs - sure, for the
builtin objects (ints, lists, &c) they might help, but there are other
routines that don't lend themselves to doc-string-ification.

Anthony

PS: any typos are the fault of too much alcohol - hey, no law against emailing
whilst drunk :)