[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Re: Do reference/user docs exist for the Py* API?

Robin Friedrich friedric@rose.rsoc.rockwell.com
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:33:03 -0500

|> From: Fredrik Lundh <Fredrik_Lundh@ivab.se>
|>
|>   From: Michael McLay
|> > An immediate problem is that Framemaker isn't universally available
|> > this choice will limit who can participate in the documentation project.
|>
|> True.  Rule me out, for example.

Untrue. A Framemaker standard would apply to the primary printed format
and doesn't limit the methods/formats used in the authoring phase. There's
nothing to say that we can't do just what Fredrik states. Once the text
is written/generated then it would be imported into Frame to generate
the printed/indexed/postscript version. Relying on cobbled together free
tools pieces for the whole job is just unnecessary. Anyone can write the
doc inputs in text and hand it over to someone with Framemaker for the
integration. I just didn't want to see the distribution docs, which are
currently nicely typeset in latex, in a reduced quality format. There's
no need to reinvent the wheel here. This doen't mean that everyone helping
with the doc projects will need Framemaker, just the docmaster.
I agree with Fredrik's approach for the C API programmer reference,
but I just don't want to stop there. I tend to use the printed docs
much more than the various online references and I don't see that changing.
-Robin